In mathematics, a percentage is a number or ratio expressed as a fraction of 100. It is often denoted using the percent sign “%”. Did you know that percentage plays a very important role in our day-to-day life? If not then I will tell you how.
Understanding the financial aspects of everyday life is important. Much of what we buy in the shops has a 10% Goods and Services Tax (GST) included in the price.
- The percentage is used for the comparative study of any topic. The topic may be related to Health, Geography, etc.
- With the help of percentages, the large data can be analyzed in less time with great accuracy.
- In a time of the election, percentage plays a very important role.
- The largest use of percentage is in the sector of business like profit or loss and many other things are related to percentage too.
- It is useful for the government to make some decisions like reservations, different schemes for many people.
- It is a very effective medium to represent numerical data most simply.
- It also gives information about the increase in civilization, urbanization, and the increase in production of any industry.
Problems on Percentages
Example 1: 80 is what percent of 64?
Explanation: Let x percent of 64 be 80
64 * x/100 = 80 => x = (80*100)/64 => x = 125
Hence, 80 is 125% of 64
Example 2: If A got 80 marks and B got 60 marks, then what percent of A’s mark is B’s mark?
Explanation: A’s marks = 80; B’s marks = 60.
Let x% of A = B => x/100 * 80 = 60
=> x = (60 * 100)/80 = 75
B’s marks is 75% of A’s marks
Answer-) C. 75%
Percentage in Math
In every percentage problem, there are three possible unknowns or variables
To solve any percentage problem, you need to identify these variables.
Example 1: 70% of 30 is 21
70 is the percentage.
30 is the base.
21 is the part.
Example 2: 6 is 50% of 12
6 is the part.
50 is the percent.
12 is the base.
Did you know that there is a trick to calculate percentages? I will tell you how to calculate it.
So, here’s the formula with a solved problem for you.
x % of y = y % of x
Example: Prove that 10% of 30 is equal to 30% of 10.
Solution: 10% of 30 = 3
30% of 10 = 3
Therefore they are equal i.e. x % of y = y % of x holds.
Math Online Classes
It is common knowledge that many people are not big fans of mathematics. This anxiety begins at an early age, creating lasting feelings of frustration with the subject. In most cases, it is caused by a lack of understanding of the main concepts. For those who enjoy the subject, math problems are very exciting for them and the thrill of finding solutions outweighs the challenges they face in the process.
After listening to the word “online” these days students feel sleepy automatically and on top of that if it is a math online class then they are going to doze off. But Cuemath gives you a platform where you get the service of an online live education platform which is created with the aid of subject-matter experts. A strong emphasis is given on the student’s idea clarity and ties theoretical doubts to real-world situations so that students may readily learn and grasp numerous concepts. Cuemath’s website is different from other online platforms. It distinguishes itself from the rest by adhering to five distinct fundamentals like instructional approach, class participation, subject focus, practice style, and end aim.
Visit Cuemath’s website to experience online learning in a fun and interactive way.